February 21, 2016 addition: And the winner is… Adam of Getting Stamped, with the photo below from Thailand. I loved it partly due to the beauty of the place (that blue water!) but also due to the beauty of the composition of the photo. Congratulations, Adam!
I WON! I WON! The theme for Travel Photo Roulette #120 was “cultural contrast,” and I won with this photo, taken in Kanazawa, Japan:
According to the rules of the competition, I get to choose the next theme, receive and post the pictures that are submitted, and choose the winner!
The new theme is “paradise.” I mean this in the broadest sense of the word. My idea of paradise usually involves tropical foliage and sea views, but your idea of paradise might be something entirely different.
Here are some photos to get you started:
I’m not good at lying on a beach for a long time, but I love staying at a place like that so I can enjoy the view whenever I want. To me, paradise usually involves palm trees, bougainvillea, and blue ocean views. In Bonaire, it also meant scuba diving right out our back door!
I’m including this next picture, a storefront in Kowloon, because it was just down the block from where I stayed, and their dim sum was heavenly!
I wrote about Bras du Fort waterfall in Guadeloupe as being a vision of paradise:
These places are my idea of paradise, but you might have entirely different ideas.
So… on to the nuts and bolts:
How to enter Travel Photo Roulette #121
To enter the Travel Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a (publicly accessible) link to your image (whether Flickr, Picasa, Smugmug, etc. or your own site) along with a brief description or caption for the photo. You must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Be sure to send the blog link as well as the picture link. Send the country and place. Descriptions aren’t necessary. The explanation should be in the shot.
The Travel Photo Roulette #121 contest runs from today, Wednesday, February 3 – until midnight EST on Thursday, February 18.
I’ll post the entries as they come in, so check back here throughout the submission period to see them (below), and feel free to comment on them.
When the submission period ends, I’ll then have the unenviable task of choosing my favorite, and will announce the lucky winner of TPR #121 here. I’m returning from a trip on February 18th, so, assuming I’m not incredibly jet-lagged or delayed, I should be able to post it soon after that.
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Overview
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the contest.
At the end of the submission period, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions, displays it as that round’s winning entry, and then passes the TPR baton on to the winner for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the host blogger into picking a certain photo via comments, but the host ultimately freely chooses their favorite. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following month’s game and choosing a theme for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media so more people can join the contest. And do be sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette !
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering is not (e.g., using Photoshop to remove elements.)
- An abstract submission is welcome as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen theme. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they can’t understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these things in mind when choosing a new theme: keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it’s okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic (e.g. “signs”), or abstract (e.g. “religion”).
- Use something that can be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused; however, new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the duration of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
I’m so looking forward to seeing what you come up with! To see more of my own photos, follow me on instagram!
Oh and… share, Share, SHARE this post using the #PhotoRoulette hashtag.
Travel Photo Roulette Entries So Far
This submission is from Carole Terwilliger Meyers at Travels with Carole:
This photo was submitted by Anne at Let Me Be Free:
And here’s an entry from Alouise of Take Me to the World:
Michele of Malaysian Meanders sent this picture:
The following entry comes from Adam at Getting Stamped:
Suzanne Fluhr of Boomeresque sent this one:
Previous Travel Photo Roulette Winners
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream: Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker: Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream: Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ: Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust: Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back: Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD: Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate: Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond: Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky: Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam: Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles: The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures: Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet: Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One: Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo: Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies: Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World: Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream: Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest: Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World: Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo: Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter: Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader: Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe: Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer: Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan: City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com: Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart: Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest: Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels: Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls: Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam: Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout: Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel: Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One: Depth of the Field
- Feb 2012 Runaway Juno: My Glorious Digital Nomad Moment
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba: Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat: Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny: Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss: Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ: Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker: Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away: Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons: Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester: What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno: Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin: Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories: Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker: Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly: Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions: Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters: The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies: Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream: Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped: The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester: Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque: Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker: Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World: Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery: The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet?: Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester: Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World: Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography: Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman: Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel: Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks: Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50: Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller: Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole: Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me: Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence: The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road: Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel: Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia: Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth: Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out: Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet: Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth: The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts: Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream: Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped: Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ: Viewpoint
- Jan 2015 Adventures of a GoodMan: WOW!
- Jan 2015 ZigZag On Earth: Roads and Tracks
- Feb 2015 Where’s The Gos?: Street Art
- Mar 2015 Ice Cream and Perma Frost: Frozen
- Mar 2015 Journey Jottings: Detail
- April 2015 House Sitting Travel: What’s your Angle?
- April 2015 JetWayz: Spiritual Beauty
- April 2015 The Trading Travelers: Celebrate
- May 2015 Street Food World Tour: Epic
- May 2015 Next Stop Who Knows: Landscape
- May 2015 We Travel Together: Wildlife
- May 2015 Vagabond Way: Festival
- June 2015 Travel Addicts: Landmarks
- June 2015 TravelnLass: Wrinkles
- July 2015 Anita’s Feast: Food Markets
- July 2015 Dare2Go: Dry
- August 2015 Travel Past 50: Home
- August 2015 Barefoot Nomad: Door
- September 2015 House Sitting Travel: Shapes
- September 2015 Berkeley and Beyond: Cemeteries
- October 2015 Dare2Go: Reflections
- October 2015 Journey Jottings: Thirst Quenching
- November 2015 Not A Ballerina: Home Away From Home
- November 2015 Nibble, Sip, Wander: Holiday
- December 2015 Travel with Kat: Light
- December 2015 Let Me Be Free: Traditions
- December 2015 TravelnLass: Blue
- January 2016 Trip Wellness: Cultural Contrast
- January 2016 Rachel’s Ruminations: Paradise
I am a co-host of Travel Photo Thursday. If you have a travel blog and want to join in, do the following:
- Add your blog to the linkup, using the link below.
- Put a link back to this page onto your blog post.
- Visit at least a few of the other blogs in the linkup, comment on them, share them and enjoy them!
If you don’t have a travel blog yourself, you can still click on any of the blogs below and visit them!